Current Research Interests
- Understanding cell-nanomaterial interactions in the context of Nanotoxicology and Nanomedicine
- Development of sustainable nanotechnology approaches for food and agriculture applications
- Development of keratin based functional materials for biomedical applications
- Development of 3D in vitro culture models
Prof Ng holds Bachelor and Master degrees in Mechanical Engineering, and a PhD in Medicine. He was one of the first recipients of the A*STAR Graduate Scholarships. After postdoctoral fellowship stints at the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology and the Institute of Medical Biology, A*STAR, Prof Ng joined NTU in 2008. He was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2015. Prof Ng’s research is highly interdisciplinary and translational in nature, spanning across disciplines including healthcare, food & agriculture, defense, security, construction and nanotechnology. He holds concurrent positions as the Program Director of the NTU-Harvard School of Public Health Initiative on Sustainable Nanotechnology, and as the Deputy Director of the Environmental Chemistry & Materials Centre, Nanyang Environment and Water Research Institute (ECMC-NEWRI). He is also a Visiting Scientist at the Department of Environmental Health, Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, Harvard University, USA.
1. Setyawati M, Singh D, Krishnan S, Huang X, Wang M, Jia S, Goh B, Ho CG, Yusoff R, Kathawala M, Poh TY, Ali NABM, Chotirmall S, Aitken R, Riediker M, Christiani DC, Fang M, Bello D, Demokritou P, Ng KW. Occupational Inhalation Exposures to Nanoparticles at Six Singapore Printing Centers. Environmental Science & Technology 2020. [DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.9b06984]
2. Kathawala MH, Ng WL, Liu D, Naing MW, Yeong WY, Spiller K, van Dyke M, Ng KW. Healing of Chronic-wounds – An Update of Recent Developments and Future Possibilities. Tissue Engineering, Part B: Reviews 25(5), 2019.
3. Nguyen LTH, Muktabar A, Tang J, Dravid VP, Thaxton CS, Venkatraman S, Ng KW. Engineered Nanoparticles for the Detection, Treatment and Prevention of Atherosclerosis – How Close are We? Drug Discovery Today 22(9):1438-1446, 2017.
4. Hartrianti P, Nguyen THL, Johanes J, Chou SM, Zhu P, Tan NS, Tang MBY, Ng KW. Fabrication and Characterization of a Novel Crosslinked Human Keratin-Alginate Sponge. Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine 4:524-531, 2016.
5. George S, Ho SS, Wong ESP, Tan TTY, Verma NK, Aitken R, Riediker M, Cummings C, Yu L, Wang ZM, Zink D, Ng Z, Loo SCJ, Ng KW. The Multi-Facets of Sustainable Nanotechnology – Lessons from a Nanosafety Symposium. Nanotoxicology 9(3):404-406. 2015.
6. Wang S, Wang Z, Foo SEM, Tan NS, Yuan Y, Lin W, Zhang Z, Ng KW. Culturing Fibroblasts in 3D Human Hair Keratin Hydrogels. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 7(9):5187-98. 2015.