Nanyang Assistant Professor Liu Zheng
Phone: (+65) 6513 7352
Related Links: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/z.liu/
Current Research Interests
Synthesis of large-scale and high-quality two-dimensional (2D) materials, e.g. graphene, hexagonal boron nitrides (h-BN), transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs); Synthesis of ternary 2D materials such as h-BNC and doped TMDs; Hybridized architectures of 2D materials; Applications of 2D materials on high-performance optical and electronic devices.
Dr. Zheng Liu received his B.S. degrees (2005) at Nankai University (China), and completed his Ph.D at National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), China, under the guidance of Prof. Lianfeng Sun. He then worked in Prof. Pulickel M. Ajayan and Prof. Jun Lou’s groups as a joint postdoc research fellow (2010~2012) and research scientist (2012~2013) at Rice University. Dr. Zheng Liu's research focus on the synthesis, characterizations and applications of novel two-dimensional (2D) crystals, including nitrides (hexagonal boron nitride, h-BN), oxides, transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs, MoS2, WS2, MoSe2 etc.) He has made great contributions to the 2D materials based nanoelectronics, active nano-systems and high performance energy components, e.g. graphene/h-BN resonators, graphene photodetectors, high-density capacitors, ultrafast lithium storage. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers in top journals such as Nat Mater, Nat Nanotech, Nat Comm, Nano Lett, Adv Mater, JACS, ACS Nano, Small etc. These work have been reported by the impact media such as Science daily, IEEE spectrum etc., and highlighted by the top journals such as Nat Phys, Nat Nanotech, Chem Int Ed, etc. He was a recipient of the 2012 World Technology Award in Energy category. This award has been presented as a way to honor those in doing "the innovative work of the greatest likely long-term significance." He was awarded the Singapore NRF Fellowship in 2013.
Z. Liu, Y.J. Gong, W. Zhou, L.L. Ma, J.J. Yu, J.C. Idrobo, J. Jung, A.H. MacDonald, R. Vajtai, J. Lou and P. M. Ajayan, “Ultrathin high-temperature oxidation-resistant coatings of hexagonal boron nitride”, Nature Communications 4: 2541 (2013)
2. S. Najmaei*, Z. Liu*, W. Zhou*, X. Zou, G. Shi, S. Lei, B. I. Yakobson, J.C. Idrobo, P.M. Ajayan, J. Lou. “Vapour phase growth and grain boundary structure of molybdenum disulphide atomic layers”, Nature Materials , 12, 745 (2013) (*contributed equally to this work)
3. Z. Liu, L.L. Ma, G. Shi, Y.J. Gong, S.D. Lei, X.B. Yang, J.N. Zhang, K.P. Hackenberg, A. Babakhani, R. Vajtai, J. Lou, P.M. Ajayan, " Atomic Layer Engineering of Graphene and Hexagonal Boron Nitride ", Nature Nanotechnology, 8, 119 (2013)
4. Z. Liu, Y. J. Zhan, S. Moldovan, M. Gharbi, L. Song, G. Shi, L. Ma, W. Gao, S. Zhao, J. Q. Huang, R. Vajtai, F. Banhart, P. Sharma, J. Lou, P. M. Ajayan, "Anomalous High Capacitance in a Coaxial Single Nanowire Capacitor", Nature Communication, 3, 879 (2012)
5. Z. Fang*, Z. Liu*, Y. Wang*, P. M. Ajayan, P. Nordlander, and N. J. Halas, “Graphene-Antenna Sandwich Photodetector”, Nano Letters, 12, 3808 (2012). ( *contributed equally to this work, Highlighted in Nature Physics)
6. Y.J. Zhan,* Z. Liu,* N. Sina, P.M. Ajayan, J. Lou, "Large Area Vapor Phase Growth and Characterization of MoS2 Atomic Layers on SiO2 Substrate", Small 8, 966 (2012). (*contributed equally to this work, Most accssed paper in SMALL, >100 citations until 1 Oct 2013)
7. Z. Liu, L. Song, S. Zhao, J. Huang, L. Ma, J. Zhang, J. Lou, P. M. Ajayan, "Direct Growth of Graphene/Hexagonal Boron Nitride Stacked Layers", Nano Letters, 11, 2032 (2011)
8. Z. Liu, L. Hu, J. Liu, C. Qiu, H. Zhou, D. P. Hashim, G. Shi, C. Peng, S. Najmaei, L. Sun, J. Lou, P. M. Ajayan, "Correlation Between Droplet-Induced Strain Actuation and Voltage Generation in Single-Wall Carbon Nanotube Films", Nano Letters, 11, 5117 (2011)
9. Z. Liu, K.H. Zheng, L.J. Hu, J. Liu, C.Y. Qiu, H.Q. Zhou, H.B. Huang, H.C. Yang, M. Li, C.Z. Gu, S.S. Xie, L. Qiao, L.F. Sun, "Surface-Energy Generator of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes and Usage in a Self-Powered System", Advanced Materials 22, 999 (2010)