Subodh G. Mhaisalkar, Ph.D.
Associate Vice President (Strategy & Partnerships) President’s Office
Professor, Materials Science & Engineering
Executive-Director, Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N)
Nanyang Technological University;
50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
firstname.lastname@example.org; +65 6592 2453
Professor Subodh Mhaisalkar is the Associate Vice President (Strategy & Partnerships) and Professor in the School of Materials Science & Engineering at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. Subodh is also the Executive Director of the Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N), a pan-University multidisciplinary research institute for innovative energy solutions. Prior to joining NTU in 2001, Subodh has over 10 years of research and engineering experience in the microelectronics industry where he held senior managerial positions at STATS Singapore, National Semiconductor, and SIMTech.
Prof Subodh’s main areas of research comprise perovskite solar cells, light emitting devices, and printable electronics. Common to all these projects are methods of solution processing of semiconductors, fundamental device physics studies, and device integration. For his work in Organic Thin Film Transistors, Subodh and his team won the IEEE 2008 George E. Smith Award for their work in printable electronics. Subodh is also the recipient of Ohio State University’s Professional Achievement Award 2012, the Nanyang Award for Innovation and Entrepreneurship in 2012, and Singapore National Day Award 2014 - The Public Administration Medal (Silver), and the IIT-Bombay Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2018.
Major research projects include Competitive Research Program Funding from the National Research Foundation on “Perovskite Optoelectronics;” Polymer & Molecular Electronics with A*STAR, and a DARPA funded program on printed charge storage devices.
As the Executive-Director of the Energy Research Initiative @ NTU (ERI@N), Subodh leads a pan-university effort, coordinating all research activities within the University pertaining to energy and promoting interactions and collaborations between colleges in the area of energy research. In raising $220 M in research funding, ERI@N with a staff-strength of 230 full-time staff and 105 PhD students has set up 62 Industry partnership projects, including joint-laboratories (on NTU Campus) with global industry leaders BMW, Johnson Matthey, Vestas, Gamesa, Rolls-Royce, and Bosch.
Prof Subodh has graduated 35 Masters and PhD students and is currently supervising a group of 11 PhD students and research fellows.
Subodh has published more than 400 research papers and has active collaborations with UC Berkeley, CEA/CNRS France, IIT-Bombay, NUS, and local research institutes. Subodh received his Bachelors’ degree from IIT-Bombay and his MS/Ph.D. degrees from The Ohio State University.
- Li MJ, Begum R, Fu JH, Xu Q, Koh TM, Veldhuis SA, Gratzel M, Mathews N, Mhaisalkar SG, Sum TC, "Low threshold and efficient multiple exciton generation in halide perovskite nanocrystals," Nature Communications, 9: 4197, 2018
- Chin XY, Perumal A, Bruno A, Yantara N, Veldhuis SA, Martinez-Sarti L, Chandran B, Chirvony V, Lo ASZ, So J, Soci C, Gratzel M, Bolink H, Mathews N, Mhaisalkar SG, "Self-assembled hierarchical nanostructured perovskites enable highly efficient LEDs via an energy cascade," Energy & Environmental Science, 11: 7: 1770-1778, 2018
- Chen W, Bhaumik S, Veldhuis S, Xing G, Xu G, Graetzel M, Mhaisalkar S, Mathews M, Sum TC, “Giant five-photon absorption from multidimensional core-shell halide perovskite colloidal nanocrystals”, Nature Communications, 8: 15198, 2017
- Li MJ, Bhaumik S, Goh TW, Kumar MS, Yantara N, Gratzel M, Mhaisalkar SG, Mathews N, Sum TC, Slow cooling and highly efficient extraction of hot carriers in colloidal perovskite nanocrystals, Nature Communications, 8: 14350, 2017.
- Veldhuis SA, Boix PP, Yantara N, Li MJ, Sum TC, Mathews N, Mhaisalkar SG, Perovskite Materials for Light-Emitting Diodes and Lasers, Advanced Materials, 28(32): 6804-6834, 2016.
- Giovanni D, Ma H, Chua J, Graetzel M, Ramamoorthy R, Mhaisalkar S, Mathews M, Sum TS, “Highly Spin-Polarized Carrier Dynamics and Ultralarge Photoinduced Magnetization in CH3NH3PbI3 Perovskite Thin Films,” Nano Letters, 15(3): 1553-1558, 2015
- Kumar MH, Dharani S, Leong WL, Boix PP, Prabhakar RR, Baikie T, Shi C, Ding H, Ramesh R, Asta M, Graetzel M, Mhaisalkar SG, Mathews N, “Lead-Free Halide Perovskite Solar Cells with High Photocurrents Realized Through Vacancy Modulation,” Advanced Materials 26(41): 7122-7125, 2015
- Li HR, Fu KW, Hagfeldt A, Graetzel M, Mhaisalkar SG, Grimsdale AC, “A Simple 3,4-Ethylenedioxythiophene Based Hole-Transporting Material for Perovskite Solar Cells,” Angewandte Chemie 53(16): 4085-4088, 2014
- GC Xing, N Mathews, SS Lim, N Yantara, X Liu, S Dharani, M Graetzel, SG Mhaisalkar, TC Sum, “Low-Temperature Solution-Processed Wide Wavelength Tunable Perovskites for Lasing,” Nature Materials 13 (5): 476-480, 2014
- Xing G, Mathews N,Sun S, Lim SS, Lam YM, Graetzel M, Mhaisalkar SG, Sum TS, “Long-Range Balanced Electron and Hole Transport Lengths in Organic- Inorganic CH3NH3PbI3," Science 342, 344-347, 2013.