[Lectures: 26 hours; Tutorials: 13 hours; Pre-requisites: NIL; Academic Unit: 3.0]
The course aims to introduce the concept of energy harnessing and energy storage technology through photovoltaics and batteries. It would teach students the challenges in boosting the efficiency of PV devices through understanding of PV device principles and the factors affecting the PV cell efficiency. The course would also teach students energy storage, supercapacitor and batteries concepts, lithium ion battery technology, essential techniques and technology of batteries/supercapacitors through understanding the underlying kinetics and thermodynamics of electrode processes occurring in various batteries.
Architectures of PV devices, PV device principles, Efficiency improvement in PV devices, Fabrication methods and Application of PV devices, Types of Energy storage, Electrochemical principles in batteries/supercapacitors, Energetics and kinetics charge storage, Factors affecting battery/supercapacitor performance, Lithium ion battery technology, Selection/ Applications of supercapacitors /batteries and future trends.
On completion of this course, the students should be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of Photovoltaic devices
- Understand the parameters used to assess a PV device performance
- Understand the factors affecting PV devices performance from design and fabrication perspectives.
- Understand the similarities and differences between batteries and supercapacitors.
- Understand the performance metrics used toe evaluate electrochemical energy storage devices.
- Understand the principle, operation and prospects of lithium ion battery technology.
- Nelson, J. The Physics of Solar Cells, Imperial College Press, 2003.
- Linden, D and Reddy T.B, Handbook of Batteries, third edition, McGraw Hill, 2003.
- B.E.Conway, Electrochemical Supercapacitors, Scientific Fundamentals and Technological Applications, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers
Download Course Description (PDF)