[Lectures: 26 hours; Tutorials: 13 hours; Pre-requisites: MS2018 & MS3012 & MS3013; Academic Unit: 3.0]
This course aims to provide a comprehensive overview of nanomaterials in terms of the synthesis, characterization, properties, and applications. It will cover the fundamental scientific principles for the different synthesis techniques, assembly of nanostructured materials and, new physical and chemical properties at the nanoscale. Existing and emerging applications will also be discussed through case studies.
Introduction to nanomaterials, size effects, properties and applications of nanomaterials, synthesis methods, stabilization and assembly of nanomaterials, characterization of nanomaterials, and existing & emerging applications (case studies).
At the end of the course, the student will understand the following:
- understand the general physics and chemistry of nanomaterials
- understand processing techniques for nanomaterials – both chemical and physical approaches
- understand the important applications and properties of nanomaterials
- Nanostructures and Nanomaterials –Sysnthesis, Properties and Applications, Cao Guozhong and Wang Ying, World Scientific Publishing, 2nd edition, 2011
- Nanomaterials: An Introduction to Synthesis, Properties and Applications, Dieter Vollath, Wiley, 2008
- Nanoscale Materials in Chemistry, edited by Kenneth J. Klabunde & Ryan Richards, John Wiley & Sons, 2nd edition, 2009.
Download Course Description (PDF)