The Undergraduate Research Opportunities Programme (UROP) aims to encourage more undergraduates to consider R&D as a career choice. UROP is administered as a general elective subject with 3 Academic Units. Students are expected to conduct an independent study of a particular topic under the supervision of a faculty member.
- To expose undergraduates to the challenges and excitement of research
- To provide research opportunity for students who wish to consider R&D as one of their career options
UROP students will get the opportunity to experience research and perform some of the following tasks:
- search, review and analyze research literature;
- collect, classify and analyze experimental data;
- conduct theoretical and computational analysis; computer modeling and software development
The program runs in a flexible time and is in sync with the timing of main academic learning programme.
- Eligible Year 2 and Year 3 students will be invited to participate in UROP.
- Students are allowed to sign up for UROP only during their entire candidature.
- Participating in UROP should not conflict with other academic learning activities, e. g. Industrial Attachment/Professional Internship, Overseas exchange (GEM Explorer).
- Students who have signed up for URECA cannot participate in UROP concurrently.
All students will be required to do a presentation and submit a conference-style research paper (comprising 4 to 6 pages) to their Supervisors for assessment.
List of UROP Projects
Project Selection and Allocation:
- Eligible students are invited to approach Supervisors and discuss possible projects. After the Supervisor and student have reached a mutual agreement, the student will inform the UROP Coordinator about the research project title and confirmation from the Supervisor.
- The UROP Coordinator will proceed to register the students for the UROP programme.
AY2017-18 UROP Timeline:
Approach Faculty Staff to discuss/select projects : 18 Aug - 31 Aug 2017
Project confirmation and Project registration by UROP Coordinator : 1 Sep - 8 Sep 2017
Execution of UROP : 11 Sep 2017 - 23 Mar 2018 (approx. 26 weeks)
Submission of final marks to UROP Coordinator : 20 Apr 2018
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I know if I am eligible for UROP?
If you are eligible for UROP, you will receive an email invitation from the School.
2. If I register for UROP, my total AUs registered will exceed the normal load limit. Can I still register for UROP?
3. After I have registered for UROP and worked on the research project for a period of time, can I still drop out from the programme?. After I have registered for UROP and worked on the research project for a period of time, can I still drop out from the programme?
If you find the project unsuitable, you may request for a change to another project. You may choose to drop out from the programme if you have good supporting reasons.